How to Keep Greenhouse Cool in the Summer

The height of summer can be hot and steamy inside a greenhouse. This is because the conditions inside these facilities can often push the temperature much higher than outside.

Hothouses and glasshouses are great tools for the kitchen gardener. They allow the production of warm-loving crops such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Unfortunately, they can also be prone to poor pollination and damage.

It’s important to regularly monitor the water levels of your plants in a greenhouse. Usually, your plants will dry out faster if they’re not watered early in the morning.

Greenhouse Ventilation

Although an automatic vent opening can be used to automate the process, it’s still important to have someone around to open the door to allow the cooling off process to begin.

When temperatures reach over 27 degrees Celsius, damage can occur to some plants. To avoid this, open all of the vents and doors on sunny days. It’s also important to keep the bugs and wildlife away by pegging the greenhouse’s doors to prevent them from entering.

A roof vent that’s about half the floor area should provide a complete air change in about two minutes. This means that for every two minutes that air is moved, the greenhouse will lose about half its air.

One of the best ways to reduce heat stress is by providing plants with a good ventilation system. This can be done through the use of roof vents and side vents.

Greenhouse Fans

Before you start using greenhouse fans, you should first determine the size of the fan and the ventilation rate that works best for your structure.

Getting air moving around the greenhouse can help cool it down a little. However, keep in mind that this method uses the air that’s already inside the greenhouse.

Ideally, the fans should be installed at the top of the greenhouse to direct the hot air away from the plants. The other ventilation system, which is an intake shutter vent, should be installed on the other side of the greenhouse.

Having both louver vents and a regular greenhouse fan installed can also help increase the air flow in the greenhouse.

Aside from keeping the blades and motors working properly, regular maintenance on the fans can also help extend their lifespan.

Greenhouse Shading

A simple and economical way to filter out the light is by applying shade paints. This type of paint is ideal for minimizing solar heat and improving the longevity of the plants.

Having the proper light levels is also important to the success of any greenhouse project.

Shades can be either internal or external. Although they can filter the light, they can also restrict the ventilation system of a greenhouse. This is because they prevent the light from entering the room.

Despite the hot weather in summer, it’s still possible to provide your plants with the proper temperature. Generally, the amount of cooling they need depends on their environment and location.

Misting System

Although these systems help in increasing the humidity level, they can’t work in areas with high humidity.

Misters and foggers use the same method to cool the environment. However, since the droplets evaporate, the temperature gets cooler.

A fogger or a misting system is similar to an evaporative cooler and can help cool the greenhouse at a faster rate.

Evaporative Systems

Evaporative cooling is typically not an option for most greenhouse setups. However, a 1-square-foot pad can help cool up to 20 square feet of floor area.

Evaporative cooling systems use a water supply and a gutter to collect the warm air. The water is then used to absorb the heat.

Evaporative cooling systems use heat to evaporate the water in the greenhouse. They then draw in the warm air with their pads and help keep the greenhouse cool.

Damping Down

As the water evaporates, it can increase the moisture content in the greenhouse, which can help keep pests at bay.

This type of maintenance technique helps keep the greenhouse cool by raising the humidity. It works by wetting the hard surfaces within the greenhouse.

Portable Air Conditioner

A portable air conditioner can also help lower the humidity in the greenhouse. However, this option is usually not practical for most budget-conscious individuals.

Portable air conditioners are also energy-efficient and are commonly used for cooling large greenhouse setups.

What Happens to Crops When Temperature Rises

It’s commonly believed that the nutrients found in the crop’s fertilizer are the most crucial. However, this is not always the case.

The plant’s structure is made up of various molecules that are used to convert carbohydrates into energy. These include enzymes and lipids.In terms of structure, this means that the plants are full of water.

In total, 96% of the dry matter in plants is made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. The other 4% is composed of micronutrients and macronutrients.

All living beings are composed of 85% water. In plants, the other 15% is referred to as dry matter.

Before we get into the details of how high temperatures affect greenhouse crops, it’s important to have some basic knowledge about plant nutrition.

The success of a crop depends on how many carbohydrates it can produce. However, what most people do not realize is that the carbohydrates produced by plants during photosynthesis do not only contribute to the plant’s respiration but also contribute to the growth of the cell.

Both processes and temperatures can affect the growth of a crop. For instance, breathing increases with higher temperatures, but the effects are only felt at a certain level.

While it’s important to maintain a high temperature for photosynthesis, it can also inhibit the process.

When the temperature rises, our plants are less able to produce carbohydrates. They also consume a higher percentage of them during respiration.

It is highly likely that the plants that are exposed to high temperatures will not have enough carbohydrates to provide the nutrients needed to grow and fatten their fruit.

Know the Signs of Heat Stress in Greenhouse

It’s important to always be on the lookout for signs of heat stress in your greenhouse. This can be spotted by the wilted leaves and young foliage that are already drying out.

Ideally, a thermometer should be installed in your greenhouse to monitor its temperature.

One of the most effective techniques that plants use to keep cool is called transpiration. This process occurs when the plants lose their moisture through the leaf pores. This process helps keep the plants cool and healthy.

Water is also an important component to the longevity of plants. Having enough moisture in the root system helps keep the plants healthy.

Recent Posts